Professor Dr. Fauziah Md. Taib
BBA (West Texas State)
Room: Dean's Office, 021
Phone: (+604)653 3370
Fax: (+604)657 7448
FAUZIAH MD. TAIB is currently a professor in accounting and finance at the School of Management in Universiti Sains Malaysia. She earned her doctorate degree from Lancaster University in 1996 specializing in goodwill accounting and the workings of the stock market. Prior to joining USM, she served Tenaga Nasional Berhad and Sime Darby Group and had been with Lancaster University for four years. Her research articles have appeared in many international and local journals such as Accounting Business Research (UK), Accountancy (UK), Capital Markets Review, Managerial Finance (UK), International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance (UK), Management Research News (UK), Economic and Business Journal. She was an associate researcher for Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW), International Centre of Research in Accounting (ICRA). Currently, she is the Dean School of Management in Universiti Sains Malaysia. She is also an associate research fellow of National Higher Education Research Institute [IPPTN] and sits on the advisory board of Socio-Economic and Environmental Research Institute [SERI], a state-government think tank.
Accounting, Finance, Financial Reporting, Islamic Financing, Stock-Market Based Research, Mutual Funds, International Accounting, Corporate Governance
- Technical Proposal for a study to evaluate achievements and Impact of Research and Development Programmes Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation. End of 2009.
- Private Higher Education Road Map Study under Ministry of Higher Education, Main researchers, Prof. Muhammad Jantan, Prof. Suresh Narayanan, Professor Suzie See Cheng Mee, Prof. Fauziah Md. Taib, Associate Professor Chan Huan Chiang, Dr. Suzyman Sibly. January 2009-December 2009.
- A Study on International Students undertaken for Ministry of Higher Education, Main researchers, Prof. Badaruddin Mohammed, Prof. Ambigapathy, Prof. Fauziah Md. Taib, Prof. Yang Farina, PM Sarjit Kaur, PM Rozinah Jamaluddin, PM Shukran Dr. Munir Shuib, Dr. Mellisa Abdullah. Feb 2009-Mei 2009.
- Malaysian Best Practices on Research and Innovation for Asian Development Bank, Main researchers, Prof. Muhammad Jantan, Associate Professor Chan Huan Chiang, Professor Fauziah Md. Taib and Associate Professor T. Ramayah. December 2008-June 2009.
- Efficiency and Cost Effectiveness Study on the Five Privatised Support Services under Malaysian Ministry of Health, Main researchers Prof. Muhammad Jantan, Assoc. Prof. Chan Huan Chiang, Assoc. Prof. Fauziah Md. Taib and Assoc. Prof. T. Ramayah, 8 months from 16 Januari 2006-15 Ogos 2006.
Selected Publications in Journals:
- Latif, R.A and F.M. Taib (2009), Market Consequences of Earnings Quality, Capital Market Review, Volume 17, No 1&2, pp. 61-78.
- Adam, N.C, Phua , Lian Kee and Taib, F.M. (2009), Disclosure of Social and Environmental Information in a Separate Statement of Annual Reports by Malaysian Listed Companies, The International Journal of Climate Change: Impacts and Response, Mei 2009, Volume 1, Issue 2, pp.85-100.
- Muhammad, N. M, Jantan, M. and Taib, F.M. (2009), "Environmental Scanning and Investment Decision Making: Information Processing”, Management Research News, issue 12 of volume 32, pp. 1117-1129.
- F.M. Taib, T. Ramayah, and D. A. Razak (2008), Factors Influencing Intention to Use Diminishing Partnership Home Financing, International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Vol. 1 No. 3, 2008 pp 235-248
- F.M. Taib and M. Isa (2007), Malaysian Unit Trust Aggregate Performance”, Managerial Finance, Volume 33, No.2, 2007 pp 102-121 (with Mansor Isa).
- T. Ramayah, F.M. Taib and P.L, Koay (2006), Classifying Users and Non-Users of Internet Banking in Northern Malaysia, Journal of Internet Banking and Commerce, August 2006, vol. 11, no.2
- N.Muhammad, N.M, M. Jantan and F.M. Taib (2007), Environmental Scanning Behavior of Malaysian Decision Makers, Journal of Business and Behavioral Sciences, International Edition, already accepted awaiting publication in December 2007.
- Rangel, G., S. Pillay and F.M. Taib, (2006), Evidence of Bubbles in Malaysian Stock Market, Proceedings at 19th Australasian Finance and Banking, Sydney Australia
- Chee, H.K and F.M. Taib (2005), The impact of ownership structure on corporate debt policy in Malaysian firms, Proceedings of International Conference in Economics and Finance 2005, May 26-27, Labuan.
- Yuskar, Fauziah Md. Taib, and D.N. Ibrahim, (2004), Manajemen Pendapatan dan Pengecualian Pajak Pendapatan di Malaysia, Kompak, Jurnal Akuntasi, Manajemen dan Sistem Informasi, No. 12 September 2004, pp. 406-433.
- Chee, H.K. and F.M. Taib (2004), Capital Structure Choices in Listed Malaysian Firms: A Recent Relook, Proceedings of International Borneo Business Conference, Kota Kinabalu, 9-11 December 2004, pp. 146-152
- F.M. Taib and Chee, H.K, Ignatius, J. (2004), Determinants of Firm Performance: Evidence from Industrial Products and Trading /Service Firms” Proceedings of International Borneo Business Conference di Kota Kinabalu, 9-11 December 2004, pp.1212-1217.
- Setiawan, A., Taib, F.M. and Chee, H.K. (2003). Debt Equity Choice and its consequences on agency problems: The Empirical Evidence from Indonesian Companies. Proceedings of the Fifth Asian Academy of Management Conference 2003, 384-398.
- Fauziah Md. Taib, Augustinus Setiawan and Suhaimi Shahnon (2002), The Determinants of Corporate Debt in Indonesian Public Listed Companies, Jurnal Ekonomi dan Bisnis, Vol. VIII, No. 1 pg. 17-35.
- Fauziah Md. Taib and Augustinus Setiawan, (2002), Joint Determination of Firm Debt, Ownership Structure on Firm’s Performance: A Methodological Review”, Capital Market Review , Vol. 10. No.1, pp. 87-114
- Selected Publications in Book and Book Chapters:
- Chapter in a book, Fauziah Md. Taib and Mansor Isa (2004), Performance of Unit Trusts in Malaysia, in Development and Performance of Mutual Funds in Five ASEAN Countries: Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, and Thailand, ASEAN University Network Collaborative Research Programme in Economic Security, pp.157-181.
- Section in a chapter, OECD Project on Review of Higher Education Institutions in Regional Development: Presenting the Penang Region/City-Region, 2009 – Chapter 6 (with Munir Shuib, Wan Mohd Muhiyuddin, Azlan Osman, Hasnah Haron, Ishak Ismail, Fauziah Md. Taib and Noor Hazlina Ahmad).
- Malaysian Best Practices on Innovation and Development, Asian Development Bank and Graduate School of Pan-Pacific International Studies of Kyung Hee University, South Korea (with Muhammad Jantan, Chan Huan Chiang and T. Ramayah), 145 pages.
- One of the authors for the Capital Market Terminology and Glossary, Dewan Bahasa & Pustaka, Kuala Lumpur sponsored by Malaysian Securities Commission, 2005. Glosari Pasaran Modal & Glosari Pasaran Modal Islam , Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka ISBN:98362814955.
- Chapters in the book Perakaunan dan Kewangan – Untuk Pembuatan Keputusan (2001)Fauziah Md. Taib, Bab 5: Urusniaga Pembarangan,, pp. 99-117.Fauziah Md.Taib, Bab 6: Mengukur and Melaporkan Inventori,, pp. 119 – 139.
- Chapters in the book Accounting and Finance Concepts Principles and Techniques of Decision Making (2006) edited by Hasnah Haron
- Fauziah Md. Taib, Chapter 5: Merchandising Transactions, pp. 125-152.
- Fauziah Md.Taib, Chapter 6: Measurement and Reporting Inventory, pp. 153-180.
- Chapters in the book Pengurusan Perniagaan : Konsep, Strategi dan Operasi (Business Management: Concept,Strategy and Operation), (2000)
- Fauziah Md. Taib & Joriah Muhammad, Membeli Perniagaan Sedia Ada: Satu Alternatif Permulaan Perniagaan, (Buying Existing Business: An Alternative to Starting Business), pp. 23-34.
- Fauziah Md. Taib & Suhaimi Shahnon, Pengurusan Inventori: Mengimbangi Keperluan Pelanggan dan Kos, (Inventory Management: Balancing the Need of Customers With Costs), pp. 45-59.
- Suhaimi Shahnon & Fauziah Md. Taib, Pembiayaan Perniagaan – Pilihan & Keputusan, (Business Financing – Choice and Decision), pp. 141-154.
- Syed Aziz Wafa, Roselina Ahmad Saufi & Fauziah Md. Taib, Punca Kegagalan Perniagaan, (Causes of Business Failure), pp. 270-274.
Selected Publications in Books and Book Chapters:
- Best Paper Award received for a paper entitled “Performance Measures of Islamic Banking Based on the Maqasid Framework”, IIUM International Accounting Conference IV 24-26 June 2008, Putrajaya. 22 pages co-author with Mustafa Omar Mohammad and Dzuljastri Abdul Razak.
- Winning National Essay Writing Competition of Malaysian Unit Trusts Week in year 2001 as organized by Permodalan Nasional Berhand with the cooperation of Malaysian Education Ministry. Essay titled “Of Product Offerings and Investor Expectations: An Analysis of the Unit Trust Industry in Malaysia”, 25 pages co-author with Suhaimi Shahnon.
- Best Paper award for the paper entitled “Performance Measures of Islamic Banking Based on the Maqasid Framework”, at the IIUM International Accounting Conference IV, 24-26 June 2008, 17 pages co-author with Mustafa Omer Mohammed and Dzuljastri Abdul Razak.
a) Exco Member (per appoinment)
- Vice President Malaysian Accounting Association 2005-present
- Vice President, 2003-2005 for Asian Academy of Management
- Committee member of Management Issues Discussion Series – “Brand Management – Lesson’s To Learn: CEO Viewpoint”, Organised by Asian Academy of Management, 11 September 2004.
- Assistant Honorary Secretary, 2001-2003 for Asian Academy of Management.
- Chairman for evaluation panel for Diploma in Accounting, LAN 2000
- Auditor, 1999-2001 for Asian Academy of Management.
- A member of Working Group, 1998-present, Malaysian Accounting Standards Board.
- Evaluation Panel member, 1998, Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment for evaluating Industrial Grant Scheme.
- National Accreditation Board panel member evaluating Social Science and Professional Arts related courses, 1998- present.
- Research Associate, 1995-1997, The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales.
b) Member (per society)
- Asian Academy of Management
- Malaysian Accounting Association
- Malaysian Finance Association
c) Committee Member (Conference / Seminar / Workshop)
- Treasurer for Global Higher Education Forum, 13-16 December 2009, Penang, Malaysia.
- Committee Member for Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam (CLMV) Dialogue in Kuala Lumpur December 2008 jointly organised by IPPTN and Ministry of Higher Education.
- Proceeding Committee Member of 7th Asian Academy of Management Conference
- Doctoral Colloqium committee member of 6th Asian Academy of Management Conference
- Commitee Member of 5th Asian Academy of Management Conference
- Committee Member of 4th Asian Academy of Management Conference.